The Fortis History
We've come a long way, but we're just getting started.
FORTIS is a post-secondary network of colleges and institutes that engages students in a powerful learning and training experience for lifelong growth. With the addition of each new campus, Fortis now offers career-based certificate, diploma and degree-granting programs at more than 30 schools in 14 states. FORTIS College and FORTIS Institute campuses prepare students for careers in healthcare, nursing, medical, dental, business, information technology, massage, cosmetology and the skilled trades such as welding and HVAC. FORTIS College Online also offers online learning platforms for a variety of associate degree programs for adults and members of the military community.
HISTORY OF FORTIS:
August, 2008 – FORTIS College campus in Phoenix , AZ became our first school to wear the FORTIS name, with the construction and grand opening of our first campus in Arizona.
September, 2008 – FORTIS College campus in Salt Lake City was added shortly as our second FORTIS campus with the opening of our campus in Salt Lake City, UT.
December, 2008 – FORTIS College campus in Norfolk became the third school to wear the FORTIS name, with the opening of the new facility in Norfolk, VA. Campus was formerly known as Virginia Career Institute in Virginia Beach.
January, 2009 - FORTIS adds four new Fortis College campus locations in Alabama, in the c ities of Dothan, Foley, Mobile and Montgomery. These campuses were formerly known as Capps College.
February, 2009 – FORTIS continues to expand by adding FORTIS College in Richmond as our second Virginia location, also formerly known as Virginia Career Institute. FORITS adds our first campus in Florida with the addition of FORTIS Institute in Pensacola, formerly a Capps College campus.
November/December 2009 - Grand opening of our brand new FORTIS College campus in Indianapolis, IN. Florida expansion continues with the addition of FORTIS College in Orange Park, FL and FORTIS Institute in Jacksonville, FL (both formerly known as North Florida Institute) . FORTIS College Landover becomes our first Maryland campus (the former Medix School South campus).
April, 2010 – The FORTIS brand expands across the states of PA, OH and FL.
- In Pennsylvania, FORTIS Institute, Forty Fort campus and FORTIS Institute, Scranton campus are added to the roster with both formerly known as AMTI.
- In Ohio, the FORTIS College campuses in Columbus, OH, in Cincinnati, OH, and in Ravenna, OH were all former Bohecker College locations. FORTIS College in Cuyahoga Falls , OH was formerly known as National Institute of Technology (NIT). The FORTIS College campus in Centerville, OH had been known as RETS College in the Dayton, OH market.
- In Florida, FORTIS College in Winter Park and FORTIS College in Largo had formerly been known as Central Florida College. The FORTIS College campus in Tampa, FL, was the former Gulf Coast College, while the FORTIS Institute campus in Mulberry, FL, had been known as Florida Career Institute.
- FORTIS College Online launches to provide a convenient online learning platform for students to tailor their education to their busy lifestyles while pursuing their goal of earning an Associates Degree.May, 2010 – FORTIS footprint in the state of Florida with the addition of the FORTIS College campus in Miami, FL, formerly known as Technical Career Institute (TCI).
November, 2010 - Montgomery, AL receives its second FORTIS campus with the addition of a FORTIS College locat ed at Eastdale Road in Montgomery. FORTIS opens a brand new facility in New Jersey as we add FORTIS Institute campus in Lawrenceville , NJ.
December, 2010 – Formerly known as Berdan Institute, the FORTIS Institute, Wayne , NJ campus proudly becomes the second FORTIS campus in New Jersey.
June/July, 2011 - Expansion of the FORTIS brand continues across Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas and Tennessee.
- Formerly known as Tri-State Business Institute, the FORTIS Institute campus in Erie, PA joined the Fortis family.
- A brand new FORTIS College campus was opened in Cutler Bay, FL in the Miami suburbs to serve south Florida.
- Three FORTIS campus locations were added in Texas. FORTIS College in Houston South, FORTIS Institute in Houston North and FORTIS Institute in Grand Prairie in the Dallas area were all former MedVance Institute campuses.
- The FORTIS Institute campus in Nashville, TN was rebranded to FORTIS and had formerly been known as MedVance Institute.
September, 2011 – In the Baltimore, Maryland market, FORTIS Institute – Towson and the FORTIS Institute campus in Woodlawn were the latest additions. They were formerly known as Medix School Towson and Medix School West campus locations, respectively.
November, 2011 – The FORTIS name expands into the state of Louisiana with the addition of the FORTIS College campus in Baton Rouge, LA, which had formerly been a MedVance Institute campus.
May, 2013 - Expanding further into Florida, FORTIS adds two more campuses, previously known as MedVance Institute, in Port St. Lucie and Fort Lauderdale.